This privacy notice is for visitors to the UK Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) data website.
What data we collect
We collect information about how you use the UK SDG data website (sdgdata.gov.uk) to help us improve the website and make sure it is meeting the needs of its users.
We collect information on:
- the pages you visit
- how long you spend on each page
- how you got to the website
- what you click on while you are visiting the website
- how you interact with a page
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address
- whether you have participated in a poll
- questions, queries or feedback you leave (including your name, email address and phone number if you choose to provide it)
More details about the information we collect is available in our Cookies policy. You can also change which cookies you are happy for us to use.
Google Analytics and Hotjar
We do not store your personal information through Google Analytics or Hotjar (for example, your name or address). We do not allow Google Analytics or Hotjar to use or share data about how you use the website. We will not identify you through analytics information, and we will not combine analytics information with other datasets in a way that would identify who you are.
We use SurveyMonkey to run surveys on our website (for example, to collect feedback to help us make the site better).
Participation in these surveys is voluntary, and any information collected is for the purpose described by the survey only. Any information collected within a survey will not be shared with anyone else.
Why we need your data
We collect anonymised information through Google Analytics and Hotjar to help:
- make sure the website is meeting the needs of its users
- make improvements to the website
We also collect data to:
- gather feedback to improve our services
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you have asked us to
Our legal basis for processing your data
The legal basis for processing anonymised data for Google Analytics and Hotjar is your consent.
The legal basis for processing all other personal data is that it is necessary:
- to perform a task in the public interest
- in the exercise of our functions as a government department
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with our technology suppliers, for example, our hosting provider GitHub.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share data with third parties for marketing purposes
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
- the law requires us to
We will keep your feedback data for 2 years. We will delete access log data after 120 days.
Where your data are processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data are as safe as possible at all stages, both while they are processed and when they are stored.
All personal data collected by Google Analytics and Hotjar are stored in the European Economic Area (EEA) bit it may be transferred outside the EEA for processing.
Data collected by SurveyMonkey are stored in the United States. However, there is a Data Processing Agreement (DPA) in place, which includes the EU approved contractual clauses referred to in the GDPR.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data – for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data are processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data are processed
- request that your personal data are erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, contact our Data Protection Officer.
Links to other websites
sdgdata.gov.uk contains links to other websites.
This privacy notice only applies to sdgdata.gov.uk and does not cover other websites that we link to. The ONS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to sdgdata.gov.uk from another website
Contact us or make a complaint
Contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) if you:
- have a question about anything in this privacy notice
- think that your personal data have been misused or mishandled
Telephone: 0845 601 3034
Data Protection Officer
Office for National Statistics
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data are processed, we will take reasonable steps to let you know.
Last updated 29 June 2021